An unidentified device went off at about 14:40 Moscow time on Monday in a subway train car when it was moving from Tekhnologichesky Institut Station to Sennaya Ploshchad Station. The Russian Investigative Committee has qualified the blast as a terrorist attack, but other versions are being looked into as well.
Russia's Investigative Committee has named the man who detonated the bomb on a St. Petersburg metro train on Monday afternoon. The man's name is Akbardjon Djalilov, he was born in 1995, IC spokesman Svetlana Petrenko said.
Train operator on St. Petersburg attack: 'Alarm calls came from all cars simultaneously'
A person who carried out an explosion in the St. Petersburg subway left a bomb at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya metro station, Petrenko has confirmed.
"Preliminary analysis has shown that the explosive was placed in a fire extinguisher and was filled with striking elements in the form of small metal balls and nuts, like the exploded bomb. It was expected to be triggered by a mobile phone rather than by a timing mechanism," a source told TASS earlier.
"This is why mobile phone communication was switched off. Soon after that, the explosive with a blast equivalent to 1 kg of TNT was defused", the source added.
Specialists continue to study the bomb
Specialists are continuing to study the exploded bomb and the remains of a suspected suicide bomber, the source said.
The detonated bomb was similar by its filling to the explosive device defused at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya subway station and had the same striking elements. It has been reported earlier that the suspect was a Central Asian who had ties with Syrian militants.
"He was in the train's third carriage near the doors, judging by the damage to the wagon. When the train started moving, an explosive device with a power equivalent to 200-300g of TNT was detonated. The blast wave actually smashed the wagon's door but the train driver who was acting strictly under operational instructions did not stop the movement and drove to the next station. Several bodies were found in the tunnel as they were blown out of the train," a source told TASS.
Security checks at the St. Petersburg metro are conducted on a regular basis, city governor Georgy Poltavchenko told reporters on Tuesday.
"Security checks are conducted on a regular basis. The investigation will show whether the security systems were efficient or not," he said.
St. Petersburg subway bomb could have been triggered by passenger — investigators
Kyrgyzstan's National Security Committee maintains contacts with the Russian special services investigating the terrorist attack in the St. Petersburg subway, the committee's spokesman, Rakhat Sulaimanov, told TASS on Tuesday.
"It has been established that an individual suspected of carrying out a terror attack is a native of our republic," he said. According to Sulaimanov, it is also known that he was granted Russian citizenship some time ago.
According to the press service, the committee confirms that Akbarzhon Jalilov born in 1995 is indeed a native of Kyrgyzstan.
New bomb reports
The police are verifying reports on a bomb threat at Sennaya Ploschad subway station in St. Petersburg, the press service of the Russian Emergencies Ministry's St. Petersburg department informed TASS.
Putin visits scene of St. Petersburg metro blast, lays flowers in memory of those killed
"Police officers are checking Sennaya Ploshchad station," the press service said.
The St. Petersburg subway has confirmed this information. "The station is closed, trains proceed without stopping," its press service said.
According to the subway's press service, Dostoyevskaya station in downtown St. Petersburg is closed as well. It declined to specify the reasons for the move.
The death toll in the blast that rocked the St. Petersburg subway has reached 14, Russian Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said.
"Today, we can verify the death of 14 people: eleven at the scene and three others died in an agonizing condition, one of them at the stage of transportation in the ambulance and two others - at a reception area of Mariinsky Hospital of injuries incompatible with life," she told reporters.
According to the minister, 49 people remain in hospitals now. "Thirteen have been released [from hospitals]. All patients are examined by the best specialists every day and are provided with medicine and blood," Skvortsova added.
All those affected by the Monday blast have been identified by now, the director of the I.I. Dzhanelidze Ambulance Research Institute Valery Parfyonov has noted:
Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said that a number of patients had remained in a state of coma since Monday.
"On Tuesday morning the comatose patients have come to their senses and named themselves. One woman patient is in a medically induced coma, which makes it easier for her brain to cope with pain," Skvortsova said.
Monday afternoon's blast hit three foreigners and guests from 17 Russia's regions, according to the city's Governor Georgy Poltavchenko.
MOSCOW, March 4. /TASS/. The explosive device that went off in St. Petersburg subway, was similar to the one found at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya station and defused, a source in law-enforcement agencies told TASS.
"The power of the self-made explosive device that went off, is around 200-300 grams of TNT equivalent. The device is similar to that defused at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya station," he said, adding that "the bomb contained lots of striking elements."
According to the source, the preliminary data suggests that the blast was caused by a suicide bomber. "There was a suicide bomber, judging by injuries. He either had the device attached to the body, or it was in the backpack, or he had it in his hands," he said.
The suicide bomber has been preliminarily identified, "he is indeed a native of the Central Asia and had ties with Syrian militants," the source said.
An unidentified device went off at about 14:40 Moscow time on Monday in a subway train car when the train was moving from Tekhnologichesky Institut Station to Sennaya Ploshchad Station. The Russian Investigative Committee has qualified the blast as a terrorist attack, but other versions are looked into. According to the latest data provided by the National Anti-terrorist Committee, the blast claimed 11 lives. Forty-five people were injured.